Saturday, November 1, 2008

Pelvis and perineum, you say?

Yes, sex has officially become boring. Not just because it's been reduced to memorizing the branches of the pudendal nerve, the difference between the corpus spongiosum and cavernosa, and the inferior hypogastric plexus. No, (oversharing alert) I've also started to feel the effects of the massive quantities of Zoloft I'm taking, which means that while I'm not having panic attacks every day, nor considering jumping onto the Metrolink tracks, I am also somewhat lacking in the libido department. Granted, looking at all the photos of rectovaginal fistulas and elephantiasis of the scrotum in anatomy lecture may not have been the most...titillating, either.

Anne, I hear you saying, you write about anatomy all the time. We almost never hear about physiology or histology; sometimes you write about biochem or a selective, but rarely. Is anatomy really that big of a time-suck? Does it really weigh that heavily on your mind? To which I answer: yes, dear reader. Yes, indeed it does. And the bitch of it is, you really do need to know it. It's not like, say, some of the more esoteric histology and biochem lectures, where one could argue that the majority of physicians aren't going to need to know about post-transcriptional modification of mRNA in their practicing lives (if ever...ok, maybe at a bar trivia night, but then again, there was never a damn question at Lew's trivia night--In KC--that I knew by virtue of being a hoity-toity neurosci/German studies major. Mostly it was about sports, and weird/arbitrary 'pop culture'--so you know my scores were always in the crapper. Add to that the fact that it takes one--count it, one--Bud Light to knock me on my ass, and there you have it: the reason I never won 50 bar dollars. In Ithaca, on the other hand, the questions were of...ahem, pardon me while I have a snobby, elitist liberal moment here...a higher caliber, and the Telluride group always cleaned up nicely. I spent a bare minimum of my own money at The Chapter House. Good times).

In the course of my studying, I have come across a handful of words that I've fallen head over heels (make that cranium over calcaneous) for, and here they are:

acetabulum: where the femur (thighbone) articulates (connects) to the innominate (hip bone). Sing it with me...the thigh bone's connected to the acetabulum...

infundibulum: a cavity opening either into a tube or into the outside world; there is an infundibulum in the right ventricle of the heart, one in the fallopian tubes, and one in the shaft of every one of your little hairs.

Don't they just sound like Harry Potter words, like mad incantations? Can't you see Hermione Granger shouting, "Infundibulum!" and laying out a Death Eater? Can't you see what a huge dork I am, augmenting my dorkiness further by referencing a children's fantasy series in relationship to anatomy?

No comments: