Monday, November 30, 2009

Healthcare professionals make the worst patients

So after the heady delight of yesterday's clear liquid diet and colonoscopy prep (read the details here, if you're inclined--it included 1) a grand total of 17 trips to the bathroom, 2) the drinking of 2 liters of a substance whose foulness could probably be approximated by mixing together 2 liters unsweetened lemonade, a cup of salt, and a few tablespoons of rancid butter, 3) my internal organs producing rumblings and gurgles more commonly associated with active volcanoes and hot springs)--came the event itself. The things I remember, after the glorious sedative/miracle that is Versed:

1) The anesthesiologist was kind of a jerk. Not mean; just not real heavy on the people skills. Example: "Did you eat or drink anything today?" "Yes, some diet coke. A few ounces." "When?" "To take my Synthroid this morning..." (interruption) "I said when, not why." Maybe I'm hypersensitive, but slow your roll there, Dr. Feelgood. I flushed a little bit at this--because hey, I'm here in a 2-ply paper gown about to have someone spelunking in my colon; I'm worried about my own asshole, so I don't want to worry about what you've got wedged up yours right now. "You've got a sort of rash on your chest. Have you noticed that?" Poking my chest, checking to see if it blanches...poke, poke, poke. Hey, why not ask before you start prodding? Just a thought. And I'm flushed because I'm pissed off but I'm not good at verbalizing anger.

2) The nurses were awesome, as nurses usually are. Warm blankets, and this hose that essentially blew warm air through the blankets I had on to keep me toasty while I waited. Someday I'm going to make friends with a medical supply rep and get one of those for my house. Or, you know, an electric blanket. Probably cheaper.
There was one bit of an awkward moment--the nurse was explaining things to me in that reassuring way that nurses have, while I was looking at the pulse oximetry reading and trying to consciously lower my heart rate to sub-tachycardic levels (have I mentioned I'm kind of tightly wound? And that I've been obsessed with controlling my heart rate and blood pressure since I read an article on biofeedback in sixth grade?). "And you can just relax--we'll have machines to keep track of your heart and your breathing, and the doctor will give you some medicine to make you nice and sleepy...now what grade did you say you were in?" (I'd mentioned being a student.) "I'm a second year medical student."

3)Apparently the doctor came into the recovery room and explained everything, but damned if I remember anything. Thanks again, Versed!

No comments: