Monday, August 31, 2009

A physician-to-be looks at Fat Pride

There is a movement called Fat Pride. Marilyn Wann, the author of a book of fat activist essays entitled "Fat?So!" is widely considered to be at the forefront. It supports taking back the word 'fat,' just as the gay rights movement has taken back 'queer,' stripping it of its shameful and painful connotations. As one of my fat activist friends explained to me, "I'm fat. So what? I could say I'm Rubenesque, or generously proportioned, built for comfort and not for speed. But to the rest of the world I'm fat. Why dance around it?"
At a medical school, of course, we are taught that fat (dietary or bodily) is anathema (for those readers who majored in biochemistry and haven't read anything but Cell since sophomore year, anathema means really really bad). Virtually every lecture touches upon it in some way, from last year's biochem lecturer who seemed almost pathologically obsessed with saturated and trans fats (she cut one of her favorite baked goods out of her life entirely when she discovered they contained what I believe was 2 g of trans fat per serving--but then I speak as the person who has a hang up about fiber, which is no less pathological, and has me tallying my 25 grams a day in my daily planner)...to this year's pathology talks on cancer, in which dietary fat intake presents significant increases in malignancy risk. Obesity is a risk factor for cancer, for heart disease, for type II diabetes...yes. This is true. But there are other findings which are not discussed, and furthermore--and more disturbingly, to my mind--there is an atmosphere of...distaste for the obese that permeates our education, and which has no place in the training of future caregivers.
For one (yes, I should cite the study. Go to pubmed, and I have no doubt you'll be able to find it. I know saying 'A study said' without further citation is the gravest sin a scientist can commit. Mea maxima culpa) when overweight but cardiovascularly fit, exercising individuals and 'normal weight' but unfit individuals were tracked for seven years in a longitudinal study...the normal weight couch potatoes were at a higher risk of death. Interesting. Granted, in a social milieu that fosters sedentary life and cheerfully offers to Supersize everything, poor eating habits and inactivity often come together and produce someone who is unhealthy--and who also happens, through the normal workings of thermodynamics, to be overweight. But are all overweight people snarfing deep-fried Oreos and calling Guitar Hero their 'cardio for the day'? Of course not. Look, Grasshopper, and you will see...shades of grey. Yes, I know I spelled it the British way. I like that way better.
As for the distaste for fat people--which we medicalize and sanitize by calling 'overweight or obesity'--that is a much more malignant issue. My medical school class is not a cross-section of society by any means, perhaps most especially (and I find this intriguing) not in terms of body habitus, nor in health habits. Almost a dozen of us--out of 124--ran the St. Louis Marathon last year; many others ran the half-marathon. Today in class, I watched the snacks people were eating: four apples, one bag of carrots/celery, one bag of trail mix, a banana, and numerous diet Cokes. And as for body size, well, we are FAR below the widely cited "1 in 3" obesity statistic. Approaching, in fact, 0%. Perhaps that makes it easy for us to think of the obese as "them": it's something that happens to other people, something from which we (with our daily workouts and carefully planned 1800 calorie, low fat, high-fiber diets) are saved by our superior willpower.
I worry about this.
I worry that this will create physicians who think that nagging, insulting, preaching or condescending will get people to lose weight.
I worry that this will create physicians who think 'fat people' are to blame for all their health problems and are undeserving of sympathy and empathy.
I worry that we haven't found a way to help people who want to lose weight but can't, and that this may be partly because we think fat is a moral failing.
I worry.

No comments: