Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Excessive Awesomeness

I thought our first day back in the saddle with 'Practice of Medicine' would be the same old routine. Nope. The coursemaster (actually, coursemistress...is it more or less PC to call her that?) contributed greatly to the overall awesomeness. So sharp she might cut somebody--and she also appears to have an exquisitely low bullshit tolerance, so she might cut somebody for being inane, too. Which, I will be frank, I like. There was a brief discussion of how to comport ourselves out on the floors, including the admonition to take out the facial piercings and cover the tattoos. Also--and you'd think this wouldn't be an issue at our institution, but alas, it apparently comes up--to be well-groomed and hygienic. To quote Dr. W (all my Ithaca pals are laughing because that's the name of the Wegmans store-brand diet Dr. Pepper I drank by the liter all through college):

"Every year a resident gets the dubious honor of talking to one of the house officers about grooming issues. My favorite ever was, 'J, please wear underwear.' You do not want to be that person."
Mother of God. I can't even imagine the situation in which that talk became necessary. I can see "please don't wear any more leather miniskirts," I can see "please wear an appropriately-sized belt to prevent us seeing your 'Sizzling Scarlet' lace g-string," I can even see "If you're going to wear short skirts, cross your legs when you sit down." But...no underwear? In a hospital? Definitely not hygienic.

No comments: