Thursday, October 8, 2009

Things I learned this week, and some quotes

1. "In a differential diagnosis, include the 'mosts.' The most common, the most dangerous, and the most interesting. Though in the case of acute chest pain, skip the most interesting. Because if someone has ST elevation on their EKG and you're talking to the resident about parasitic pericarditis, they're going to hit you with the clipboard. And so they should."

2. "Speaking as an internist, every last one of you in this room has a pulmonary embolism until proven otherwise. That is something you never ever want to miss."

3. Apparently there is an outlet for my hypochondria and tendency to catastrophize: unleash it on my patients! "Put in the differential the absolute worst things it could be...the really bad shit. Because you'd feel really bad if the patient died and you had to say, 'Oh, a pneumothorax...I never thought of that!'"

4. 'If a little is good, a lot is better' does not apply to high-fiber cereal bars, no matter how tasty they may be. Remember that SNL spoof about 'Colon Blow' cereal? Back when SNL was funny? Yeah.

5. Physicians, especially ER docs, really seem to relish catching malingerers. Their eyes always light up when they talk about it, and they start grinning like feral chipmunks. For instance, someone complaining of chest pain angling for MI-type attention who says it hurts when you press *right there* is probably faking it. That's musculoskeletal. "I always tell them, oh, good, I think you're out of the woods. Peace."

6. Having whacked out hormone levels (though not, as of yet, any confirmed $%&# diagnosis) has made me a little...hairier than usual. Supposedly acne is also part of the sideshow. "At least I don't have that," I consoled myself. Wrong. Long workouts + androgens + ubiquitous bacteria = not just acne but, cruelly, ass-ne. *Is there no end to the ignominy?!?!*

7. My first hospital session (with an actual patient) is next week. I'm a little (ok, a lot) nervous. Hopefully I will not blind the patient with the ophthalmoscope or forget part of the physical or lose my train of thought during the history and just sit there staring blankly. No. All will be well.

No comments: